Thursday, March 31, 2011

to escape, to feel, to live


For one of my classes, we had to create a short "public service announcement," so I decided to make mine on Carolina Style, one of the dance groups at UNC. During Fall Fest at the beginning of the school year, I ran into my friend Tiffany, my Dance Director in high school (but a senior at CH now), who was promoting the company. After talking to her about it, I knew I wanted to audition. It disappoints me that Carolina doesn't have a solid dance program like other top universities, but from what I could tell from our short conversation, C-Style was her perfect outlet.

The company is divided into three groups (ballet, tap, and jazz), so of course I chose ballet. I learned three pieces last semester, and on Sunday I will perform four. Even though I've been doing C-Style since last September, it's really taken me up until now to realize how much I truly miss dancing all the time. It was such a huge part of my life for such a long time, and it's crazy how just going off to college can change all that. But this week, I think I've taken a new perspective. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to dance with other girls who feel the same way. We all miss taking class each night. We all miss rehearsals for recitals, Nutcracker, pointe shoes, the feeling of accomplishment after a triple pirouette. We miss these things, but I think in a way, it brings us closer. Another one of the seniors, while taking me home last night, told me that some of her best memories from college were from Carolina Style. I hope I can say that too in three years, and I'm looking forward to making the most out of dancing here.

(Video song: Cosmic Love by Florence + The Machine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...